Trip Of A Lifetime

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Saying Goodbye

For the past twelve months we have had a visitor from England staying here in Australia. Today she had to go home.

It's been a strange couple of days leading up to her departure. Not only has it been difficult to come to terms with the fact that she will no longer be there when I need to gossip or have laugh, but it's really started to get me thinking about my own looming departure date.

When at the airport, Adie (my husband) could be seen getting excited at the prospect of possible upgrades to business class and the thought of all the countries that he will see next year. He was also more than willing to take our 3 year old niece to look at the planes. In case you haven't met him, Adie likes planes... a lot.

Now I don't really care all that much for planes as long as they do what they're designed to do... fly me safely to my destination with some adequate inflight entertainment and an average meal. Due to this lack of interest in the planes that i won't be flying in, as soon as I had a second free I was in the duty free shop. I'm not usually one to go shopping, but there is something about duty free. Everything is so brightly lit and shiny looking. I'm like a bunny caught in the headlights, mesmerised by the promise of discounted items that I really have no need for. Oh yeah.

Thankfully I was able to prevent myself from purchasing anything today, afterall it's not duty free without a valid ticket. Rest assured though, I have already started thinking about what I don't need but really, really want for that day when our adventure begins.

For LG. I hope that Singapore was fantastic and that you had a safe trip home with all of your luggage back to England. Will see you soon. Can't wait to see earlier series of 'Teachers' and yourself, of course.

3 Comments:

  • Now, mrs I gotta say...you're a cooky one. But i love IT. I already miss you. :( *sniff sniff* It's gonna be weird without your little weird face and whatnot. But, even though I think it's horribly unfair that you get to go to Europe for a year and I don't but instead have to put up with Laura...I hope you have loads of fun and I'll be sure to check your progress and write. :) Already added it to my faves. Hehehe. Shhh don't tell anyone I added my teacher's blog to my faves. :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 am  

  • Planes are great. Who can not be amazed at the fact that something so big can carry 300 people and take off safe. I think they are even better than "duty free" :) and it does not cost anything to look at them. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 am  

  • Hi Noshie,

    Just remember that there is a duty free shop actually in the Arrivals section of Melbourne Airport before you go through to the baggage carousel - saves you lugging things back on the plane and carrying it everywhere else.

    That is, of course, if you were planning on bringing stuff back with you, and that you were going to have any spare change to do that with anyway...

    By Blogger Riss, at 6:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home