Trip Of A Lifetime

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Passports

Today I would like to share my passport story.

It turns out that my Australian passport is going to run out while Adie and I are overseas, so rather then risk being stuck in another country I decided to get it renewed. (Less then one week after the prices went up I might add.) So I put on some mascara and a little lippy. I brushed my hair and put on a nice necklace. Then I trotted, sans horse, to the local Kodak shop to get some photos taken.

"You can't smile, Miss." said Mr Photoman. I frowned at him and might have made a low growling sound. He then looked at me and said that I could smile a little, but that I could show no teeth. (I think maybe he was scared.)

The photos turned out looking okay. Not quite magasine cover quality, but I looked more or less like me smiling with my lips held firmly together. So I took these photos to a friend who signed them, and I planned to go back later in the week once the rest of my paperwork arrived. I was happy and smiling.

When the day came to get this passport finalised I had about one thousand things to do. (Alright, maybe it was closer to eleven.) So I got out of bed, showered, towelled off, got dressed and left the house. I really should have known better. The post office lady lingered over my photos and went to show the person standing next to her. I will admit that I was feeling quite proud. Obviously most people look like they haven't taken any care when they get their passport photos taken and here mine were so nice that other people wanted to see it. It was about ten seconds into this fantasy that I took note of the expressions on the faces of these two women. They weren't going to accept them. Apparently my head wasn't "big" enough. Apparently I had to get another set done. Apparently it will take up to six weeks for the passport to be ready so I should get those photos taken immediately.

To cut this story down to the quick. My towell dried hair and un-madeup face are what shall now appear on my passport. And I don't think I managed a smile, a grimace maybe but not a happy smile. Oh well, at least I tried.

3 Comments:

  • Oh no! What a pain! Someone here at work had similar problem with "shadow" behind him.

    Nice to see you over the weekend. Hope you get done all you need before Heaven arrives.

    By Blogger Riss, at 3:07 am  

  • Yikes! I know the frustrations with passport photos - bloody morons, the lot of 'em!

    I'm sure you look lovely in the photos regardless. :)

    By Blogger BEVIS, at 5:59 am  

  • Yeah mrs don't worry. To us you always look good. And if they laugh at you at the airport in some stangre country you can always whack them with something. Don't worry assult of an authority figure doesn't get long itme in jail. Oh two positive sides, I'm pretty sure the jail standards are better than in, say Bali, and if you get into too much trouble I'm sure our very nice PM will help you out. :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home