Trip Of A Lifetime

Sunday, February 05, 2006

My Most Horrible Class

I must preface this with a note that all of my classes have been reasonably fine, if a little boring. Do not assume that I have to put up with this everytime I step into a classroom.

Okay, here we go. At the end of the day I was told that this particular Year 11 class is the worst in the entire school. Why they put supply teachers in there knowing this, I can't imagine.

The not so bad stuff:
  • Half of the class ignored me.
  • They threw rubbish on the floor.
  • Two boys refused to come into the room and instead stood in the hallway.
  • One boy became quite amorous with his table, but stopped after about 2 minutes.

The bad stuff:

  • The entire class waged war on each other using slingshots and paper.
  • One student climbed out the back window... he returned (via the window) about 5 minutes later.
  • On about 3 occaisions, students simply left the class.
  • Two boys made fun by throwing books about the classroom.

The really bad stuff:

  • The two boys who wouldn't come in were afraid to do so because they were being physically bullied by two boys in the room.
  • One boy set fire to an elasic band, making the room stink, and then complained because the melted rubber burned him. He later set fire to his exercise book.
  • When I asked what it would take for me to get these boys to participate in the lesson, I was verbally sexually harrassed.

It was a tough class and all of these things escalated over the period of about 25 minutes before I was able to get some support from another teacher and the head teacher was called over. I will not be going into their class again. It felt as though they had conspired before I had even walked into the classroom to create havoc.

Again, I really want to stress that this is just one experience. Others have been better. I hope that there are not that will be worse.

2 Comments:

  • Oh Noshie, that's awful. My sister has been warned that secondary students are the worst. I'll check with Logan whether there are any other words to avoid so you can minimise any future impact.

    Big hugs, lovey.

    By Blogger Riss, at 3:53 am  

  • Dear Nina,

    It sounds like you went to Teacher Hell and back, BUT you stuck in there. You're a star. Some teachers walk out and never return; it happened to a friend of mine just after we graduated...like stage fright, she has never set foot on a classroom platform again.

    At my school (Norwood Girls) there was always a lot of hair flying about and yes, sometimes that was set alight!! The smell of burning flesh frequently wafted down the corridors!

    Keep going!

    Lots of love, Polx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home