Trip Of A Lifetime

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Mary Poppins


This Monday night Adie and I went to see Mary Poppins at the Prince Edward Theatre. I grew up with Mary Poppins. Well, not literally. It's not like she was MY nanny or anything, but I certainly did watch the film about thirty thousand times!

The stage production was very good, with a lot of cast members flying about. It was interesting to see how they adapted the story to the stage. Some bits were left out, some embellished and others totally new. It was quite traditional in ways (like the singing) but also used a lot of contemporary techniques (mainly to do with sets).

Adie and I both agreed that the second act was better paced than the first as at times the story did drag. It was also a really strange interval. Quite a few audience members, including ourselves, felt that maybe the play was finished because the story seemed to be up to the end point of the film. There was no curtain call though and so we figured there would be more. There was, so it's a good thing we decided to stay.

Overall we did enjoy ourselves and I think I'm definitely going to have to buy the dvd of Mary Poppins if it's available as soon as I get home.

3 Comments:

  • It's available. Check it out here.

    Or, for the 40th Anniversary, 2-Disc, Special Edition, check this one out instead.

    That's the one we've got, and although the above link says 'out of stock' at the moment, you can find it anywhere. Target, Coles, Kmart, Myer, etc.

    By Blogger BEVIS, at 6:24 am  

  • I knew someone would be able to help me out on this, namely you, Bevis. Thanks. I'll look into it when I get home. No point lugging it around.
    Noshie

    By Blogger noshie, at 4:10 pm  

  • No worries. :)

    By Blogger BEVIS, at 1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home