Trip Of A Lifetime

Monday, June 26, 2006

When In Rome...

Rome is such an interesting city. There are so many examples of history that it's almost overwhelming! Everywhere you turn there's another building from thousands of years ago.

One of my highlights was definitely getting the chance to see and to wander around in the Coloseum. While there is only half of the outer wall remaining, it is still an incredibly impressive sight. You have a preconcieved notion of what to expect before you get there but nothing can prepare you for the size or the detail you find. Inside you can still see each level. The cages underneath, the arena and the seating areas. Having this much still intact really gives you a good sense of what life actually may have been like in these times. I have to say though, that I'm glad entertainment is a little more comfortable these days! One other must see in Rome is the Trevi Fountain. Can everyone say 'tourist attraction'? I have never seen so many people crowded into such a small space just to look at fountain! Admittedly, it is impressive. It's also been recently cleaned so it's all white a gleaming but does everyone have to visit at the same time!?!I focused on a more important asspect of Italy while we were here and indulged in my first of many gelato. OMG it was heaven! (That's probably why I proceeded to eat one each day that I was there!)Rome was fascinating and beautiful, but a little too crowded for my tastes. You want to already know what you want to see and go and see it early, then siesta through the afternoon before going out at night. Like the Italians!

1 Comments:

  • lovely photographs and wonderful description. I am from India and had visited Italy in 2004, felt like doing it again and now to do it extensively(earlier it was a whirlwind trip).Your description of Capri has made me feel like putting it on top of my list.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home