Trip Of A Lifetime

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wicked... Is!

It just occured to me that I never posted about our trip to see 'Wicked' a musical based on the lives of the witches of Oz.

Adie and I decided to take his cousing for her birthday a couple of weeks ago. Tobe honest, I wasn't expecting it to be all that good. I'd heard a bad review from someone and it had stuck in my mind.

Well, I don't know what that person was talking about. I found this musical to be brilliant, and a lot of it had to do with the woman playing Elphaba, Idina Menzel. When they decided to bring her out from America to reprise this role they were doing the right thing. Man, can this woman sing! If you're curious and not likely to come to England any time soon, she apparently plays the role of Mimi in the film version of Rent. (But I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.)

I loved everything about this musical. The sets were inspired and filled with symbolism. The music was heavy and made you feel. The costumes were interesting and helped define all characters (including chorus). The singing (apart from maybe Adam Garcia who I thought was a little weak compared to the women, but maybe he had a cold). The storyline was witty and clever and had a message... if you were looking for one. The acting was passionate and heartfelt. Oh Fiyero! I could go on and on and on...

All three of us thoroughly enjoyed it. I was the only one of us to cry, but certainly not the only onein the audience. At least I was prepared with my little packet of tissues. The people behind us couldn't stop going on about how fabulous this show was. The people in front of us were uncultured and pointless. They came into the theatre with their hair dyed green and with their child dressed as a witch. I thought, now here are some real fans! Throughout the entire first act they rustled bags of lollies and the husband and wife, obviously too far from each other with their child sitting between them, sent text messages to each other during the performance! These people have no class and no respect for theatre! Thankfully they left during interval. I'm thinking that there was too much depth in the storyline for them to handle.

So, if you get the chance you must see Wicked. Riss and I will be going as soon as it comes to Melbourne (for it had better come to Melbourne!)... anyone else up for it?

4 Comments:

  • Idina Menzel was Maureen in the film and also in the original cast on Broadway for RENT. She was the crazy performance artist (moo with me) who had broken up with Mark and was now seeing Joanne. Did you also know that Idina is married to Taye Diggs?? I just found that out!

    Yes, please, definitely will see Wicked again!!

    By Blogger Riss, at 2:41 am  

  • Thanks Riss! I read the program quickly before packing it up and was relying on my somewhat dubious memory. I have no idea who Taye Diggs is though. Is this something I should know?

    By Blogger noshie, at 10:49 am  

  • He was Benny - the one with the Range Rover who was trying to tear down the tenements in which they were living. Benjamin Coffin III. He and Idina got together while working on the Broadway production of RENT. He was also in the movie. He was in the latest movie version of Chicago as the band leader in the Cabaret venue where Velma Kelly appears at the beginning. And he filled in as Fiyero in Wicked! on Broadway for Norbert Leo Butz. That would have been something to see, I think. Would there have been any extra chemistry???

    By Blogger Riss, at 8:52 am  

  • And what made you cry, my cherub? I had the tissues handy too but that was because of the rotten cold I had at the time. I made sure I had Boots' lozenges, tissues and a bottle of water so that I wouldn't have a coughing fit in the middle of it! :) I always seem to have so much stuff!! I've managed to pare it down for my trips to the MTC productions - I'm quite proud.

    By Blogger Riss, at 9:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home