Trip Of A Lifetime

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?


Well, I'm not! I'm in love with it actually. Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin were perfect in the roels of Martha and George. And even though we had some of the cheapest and crappiest seats in the house, the power and energy coming off the stage was amazing.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the play, it has three acts that can last anything from 3 to 3 and a half hours. It's set on university grounds where George is a teacher and Martha (his wife) is the president's daughter. They have just been to a party at Martha's fathers and Martha has invited a young couple from the party over for drinks even though it is about 2am. She did not run this idea by George.

George and Martha seem to have a mutual contempt for each other and constantly engage in verbal sparring, even when entertaining guests. It is this aspect of the play that Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin did so well. Their relationship was real. The discomfort of the guests was palpable. The play was, simply put, great.

I almost didn't go to see it because I didn't think I'd be able to get cheap tickets and I just can't afford the expensive ones. I'm so glad I did though. It will go down as one of the best pieces I've been lucky enough to see. Good writing and excellent performances.

3 Comments:

  • Ooh, you've done some updating. Looking very nice. I've done a couple more posts and have a bit more to write about yet but you'll be able to see it all when you get back from Belgium.

    I have a new staff member starting on Monday so hopefully I'll be able to get through more of my work (my desk is getting messy again) and actually be ready for this semester by the end of the week.

    Thank-you for my pressie. It arrived on Friday 17th. It even matched the top I was wearing so I wore it when we went to pick up the Fish and Chips. Very pretty and unique.

    By Blogger Riss, at 7:26 am  

  • Another gift?

    'Humph' again!

    *sulks some more*

    By Blogger BEVIS, at 2:11 pm  

  • (Still kidding.)

    By Blogger BEVIS, at 2:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home